Scraps: the Sehr Gut Weblog

Avatar: Foggyclad the Marshwiggle

Some journaling, some articles and reviews of movies and music. Scraps and ephemera, miscellany, shreds of misplaced thought. This is much easier to maintain than the Sehr Gut Web main page, and is consequently updated much more frequently. Besides that, I always meant to keep a journal . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pensacola, Florida, United States

I am an inveterate writer, and so am becoming an inveterate weblogger as well. Supported weblogs are Scraps, The Random Quill, Tome, Academic Musings, Ergle Street, and Harbour in the Scramble. I also have a personal, unlisted weblog. If you find it, comment to it. I'll email you something. I don't know. I'll think of something interesting. “21 Steps to Becoming a Democrat”, maybe. By the way, I can be reached from the email portal on my web site. Technorati Profile

2004/07/26

   Now, you have to understand something of a writer and an artist. Something of the melancholic temperament in general. But, the idea first. I'm at work, and just got a labwide email that an employee's mother died. It contained the death notice from the Augusta Chronicle:

AUGUSTA, Ga.- Graveside services for Mrs. M___ D___ D___ of 1229 __th Street will be held 11 a.m. [date removed] at Mt. Olive Memorial Gardens. Survivors include a daughter, V___ D___; two sons, G___ E. D___, R___ I. D___; three sisters, R___ H___, O___ Spears, B___ D___; four grandchildren and one great-grandchild; a host of other relatives and friends. The family will receive friends from 7-8 p.m. today at the funeral home. G. L. Brightharp & Sons Mortuary, 614 West Avenue, North Augusta, S. C.

   The message sparked an immediate, odd compulsion to attend the graveside service. Then the idea: "These notices are in every newspaper everywhere. Whenever I want, I can go to a funeral."    Like I said, you have to understand something about an artist. My attraction to a funeral is not flippant. I'm not going to crash a party. It's not dark (Goth-style), or a fascination with death. It's merely a writer's need to absorb real-life circumstances as experience upon which to base his interpretations of life; for a writer has the responsibility — not that I necessarily agree with this situation — given him by those who do not wish to interpret life themselves, to provide an interpretation of life and its circumstances.    I have been blessed by not having funerals come into my life often on their own. My maternal grandfather, a distant friend Michael — years after I knew him — an elderly lady from my church, and two friends of my parents whom I hardly knew are the only funerals I have ever attended.    So don't think it strange if a sombre and reverent stranger shows up at the graveside of one of your friends or loved ones, paying his respects to someone he never knew. He is merely experiencing the human condition, and is a "scout" of sorts for all whom his work will reach. He is a writer. Crosspost: Scraps and Random Quill

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ab?ad?b

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like something in a comment navayat creative, but the idea is not formed, so just "cool"

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It`s really interesting to reed. But all thk about other. Why so?

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Article
http://www.medcareforyou.com/product/arimidex/

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good article
http://buyzolpidem-zolpidem.blogspot.com/2011/01/weightlosspack.html

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Article

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good article. Thank you.
http://sonniksnet.blog.com/2011/01/08/order-mefenorex

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know what to say. This web site is amazing. Thats not truly a actually substantial statement, but its all I could come up with soon after reading this. You know a great deal about this subject. Much making sure that you produced me wish to understand additional about it. Your web site is my stepping stone, my buddy. Many thanks for that heads up on this theme.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Erectile Dysfunction said...

Keep up the good work.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home