Scraps: the Sehr Gut Weblog

Avatar: Foggyclad the Marshwiggle

Some journaling, some articles and reviews of movies and music. Scraps and ephemera, miscellany, shreds of misplaced thought. This is much easier to maintain than the Sehr Gut Web main page, and is consequently updated much more frequently. Besides that, I always meant to keep a journal . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pensacola, Florida, United States

I am an inveterate writer, and so am becoming an inveterate weblogger as well. Supported weblogs are Scraps, The Random Quill, Tome, Academic Musings, Ergle Street, and Harbour in the Scramble. I also have a personal, unlisted weblog. If you find it, comment to it. I'll email you something. I don't know. I'll think of something interesting. “21 Steps to Becoming a Democrat”, maybe. By the way, I can be reached from the email portal on my web site. Technorati Profile

2004/08/20

   I hate those silly online quizzes. I really do. But this one is a bit different: it provides some framework for discussing my philosophies of honour and honesty. (Except for that typo right in the image text . . . aargh!)

You Are a  
Fencer
You are a fencer. You fight honerably. You try not to kill your
opponents, but only disarm them, to force them
to surrender. In a duel you will go all
out and kill your oponent. You use a rapier.

What type of Swordsman are you?
My answers to some of the questions I consider more important to life in general, and explanations of them follow. What does honour truly entail, and what is mere foolishness?


When you find a women in distress, what do you do? Hide in the shadows until the time is right.
   It's foolish to charge in unprepared, make pointless, prideful shows of bravado, or attack before you can make a rational evaluation of the situation.

When your oponent drops their weapon, what do you do? Put my sword to his throat, and ask if he surrenders.
   Again, pointless shows of bravado are foolish, and taking full advantage of the situation by using the opportunity for a death-blow is dishonourable. In such a situation, the opponent ought to be given a chance to surrender. Otherwise, certain death.

When you finally confront your true enemy, what do you do? Stare him in the eye, draw my sword, and vow that I will kill him.
   No need to formalize it with a duel here. A duel is for a purpose: to settle a specific, usually social, dispute. (This is another of Hollywood’s misused standard scenes, merely for drama’s sake. Not every fight is a duel!) No skullduggery here, no foolish charges, but no non-required concessions: I am a capitalist above all.

When you defeat your enemy, he is on his knees, begging to be spared. What do you do? Say to him "We agreed to a duel. I shall not go aganst my word," and slit his throat.
   Honour once, honour always. A duel is a duel, a deal is a deal, and I am not one to go back on my word, much less to give up that which I have rightfully earned. No cruelty here, but no touchy-feely “he’s really not bad enough to kill” nonsense. Hollywood has had a decades-long field day with that whole idea — though it is rationally, morally, and philosophically bankrupt.

   Honour is really a part of how you live your life? How honourable are you? This quiz just might make you think, if you can take it out of its period context and seriously look at the philosophical underpinnings of your answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home