Scraps: the Sehr Gut Weblog

Avatar: Foggyclad the Marshwiggle

Some journaling, some articles and reviews of movies and music. Scraps and ephemera, miscellany, shreds of misplaced thought. This is much easier to maintain than the Sehr Gut Web main page, and is consequently updated much more frequently. Besides that, I always meant to keep a journal . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pensacola, Florida, United States

I am an inveterate writer, and so am becoming an inveterate weblogger as well. Supported weblogs are Scraps, The Random Quill, Tome, Academic Musings, Ergle Street, and Harbour in the Scramble. I also have a personal, unlisted weblog. If you find it, comment to it. I'll email you something. I don't know. I'll think of something interesting. “21 Steps to Becoming a Democrat”, maybe. By the way, I can be reached from the email portal on my web site. Technorati Profile

2004/07/29

Embrangle: \Em*bran''gle\, v. t. [Mid-17th Cent.: em- (L. "in") + brangle (obs. "to shake, squabble" > Fr. branler "to shake"]
(past em bran gled
p. part. em bran gled
pres. part. em bran gling
pres. sing. em bran gles
noun em bran gle ment

v. t.1 arch. make more complicated or confused through entanglements; confuse or entangle
v. t.2 arch. confuse, perplex, or entangle somebody or something

Webster's Second New International Dictionary (1913) cites:

I am lost and embrangled in inextricable difficulties. —Berkeley.
(That is quite an artistic way to use the word. Even as a word heretofore unfamiliar to me, it doesn't sound in the least out of place . . .)

   I hate MSN, I hate Encarta, I hate Microsoft, but for some odd reason, I found this list of 10 Words You Simply Must Know on Google. Tenth on the list, after the leader, "defenestrate", and following "cullet", "pellucid", and others, lay a beautiful archaic word: "embrangle". Needless to say, I quickly looked up the etymology (I refuse to use "Google" as a verb) online, and made a long-pondered decision in a moment's time to expose this word from one more (albeit small) venue to the minds of the world.
Public, educate thyself.

Crosspost: Scraps and Academic Musings

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quality articles is the secret to invite the visitors to
visit the website, that's what this website is providing.

my homepage; Generateur de Code PSN

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home